Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April Begins: Lollapalooza

Hi loyal readers! It's been a while since I've updated but I'm back on the bandwagon--with two new posts today! Please note that this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am procrastinating packing since I have just recently (1 hour ago) unpacked. Oh abroad life, you're so difficult. 

The last week and a half has been insane, filled with adventure and very little sleep. I went from Lollapalooza Chile a two-day music festival here in Santiago to a week-long camping trip in Torres del Paine in Patagonia. Arrived back in Santiago today and in 12 hours I'll be waking up to head back to the airport for four days on Easter Island. Not sure how I'm going to survive real life at AU in the fall but special shout-out to the lovely Kara Hegstrom for registering me for classes while I was galavanting through the Chilean wilderness last week. 

Anyway, Lolla was filled with amazing music, dancing, food and people. Bands ranged from the well-known (Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, MGMT, Skrillex, Calvin Harris etc) to little-known bands from around South America. We were lucky to have gorgeous weather all weekend. At the end of the first night I sat on the bleachers above the festival and watched Bjork perform from afar with Santiago spread out below me. It was a cheesy moment for sure, but I felt like I belonged and was a part of something. This city is so sprawling but I'd run into a few friends from outside of my program that day which made me realize I really am beginning to find my place here. It felt great to be surrounded by new friends and great music in such a cool city. 

























While my favorite act was definitely MGMT, here are two songs from the groups Systema Solar and Gogol Bordello, which ended up being two f the best shows I saw the entire time because they were so high energy. 



Check back soon for updates on my time in Patagonia!

(PS photos courtesy of Megan Shea and Jesse Dubow since I'm too irresponsible to bring my camera to places like Lolla)

No comments:

Post a Comment