Thursday, March 1, 2012

#gringaproblems

This last week has been such a whirlwind-but in a good way. After two months at home anticipating what this experience would be like it's surreal to actually be living it. So far, I haven't been too overwhelmed, but I think this might be due to the fact that my "intensive" Spanish review class has so far consisted of a review of the conditional tense and a viewing of the (amazing) movie Motorcycle Diaries. We also have a variety of "projects" to do, which are sort of a joke. I plan to enjoy the next week of orientation before my real classes start.

Claudia and I are getting along "superbien" and I feel really close to her. It's nice to have someone around listening to my stories, cooking, cleaning, and always telling me my outfits look good. She's like my personal superfan. Today I managed to "lock" myself out again. Turns out I was just unlocking the various locks in the wrong order. Oh okay. I'm such a silly gringa.

Yesterday, our group explored La Moneda where many of the government buildings are again and then headed over to the Cerro Santa Lucia to take in a view of the city. Apparently there are many cerros in Chile and the coastal city of Valparaiso where I'm headed next week is full of them. I got some great pictures and a little bit of exercise.






After, we had lunch on the lawn at the Cerro, enjoying empanadas from a little hole-in-the-wall place. We wandered around the neighborhood of Bellas Artes taking pictures in for an assignment for class when Mark, Kevin and I decided the rest of our group should have the pleasure of trying the terremottos at La Piojera, so we headed over there for what turned out to be a great bonding experience and a fun afternoon meeting and laughing with random Chileans.



Today was uneventful, although I ate another Italiano and am concerned I'm developing an addiction.


BUT: super exciting, my friend Carolina has an uncle who owns a resort in the small northern costal town of Tongoy and he has invited all of us to spend the weekend there! We bought our bus tickets and this weekend the gringos are off the the playa! Don't worry Mom and Dad, I'll be back in time for class!

No comments:

Post a Comment